20 Questions with Shelby
1. Where are you from? How did you hear about V.O.C and what is your role here at the store?
I’m from Oakville!
I first heard about V.O.C. when my boss at my first internship said she had a connection to the owner, so that’s how I first reached out to Emily!
At the store, I help with buying and receiving new arrivals, managing the website and social media, organizing and planning photoshoots, and any marketing that we do!
2. You have an awesome background working in E-Commerce. So obviously you love all things related to not only fashion but technology as well. What is your favourite or most used App in your phone right now?
My most used app right now has to be Snapchat — I spend so much time on there seeing what my friends are up to or following brands. I find it to be a really good tool for getting inspiration, and love seeing what creative things other retailers and brands are doing on there.
3. Speaking of social media, what is the key behind taking a good Instagram?
I think the key is good lighting combined with good filters from Afterlight :)
4. If you could raid any celebrity or fashion blogger’s closet, whose would it be and why?
Since I was 12, Victoria Beckham has always been my favourite and I think her closet would be amazing. But I think if I had to raid or trade closets with someone for my day to day life, it would be Rosie Huntington Whiteley's — she has the best no-fuss casual style and always look so put together!
5. Favourite brands at V.O.C? Why?
I’m obsessing over Tularosa, Amuse, and Bella Dahl right now, but I really love all of the brands we carry! I think they all have really special and unique pieces that I am always drawn to, while still being really versatile and able to dress up and down. I like things that are multi purpose and that you can style for many different types of occasions.
6. What is one trend from the past that you hope never returns?
When I was in middle school, we use to wear cropped leggings under denim mini skirts…and looking back at some of those pictures, it looked terrible! I don’t know what we were thinking. So ya, I hope that trend never returns.
7. When you aren’t working, how do you like to spend your days off?
I love going for walks with my boyfriend’s dog, Holly (she's a yorkshire terrier!)! She gets so happy and it’s so nice to take her by the lake and get some fresh air every day. But i’m also guilty of diving into a new show and staying in all day on my days off.
8. What 3 beauty products could you not live without?
Lipstick, Argan Oil, Mascara.
9. You always look so put together! How would you best describe your style?
Thanks :) I definitely prefer staying casual. My favourite outfit is pretty simple and requires adding a statement piece to jeans and a t-shirt — like a great jacket or an awesome necklace or pair of shoes. I feel like that’s kind of my go-to.
10. Yoga or Boxing?
Boxing, for sure! It’s such a great stress reliever and you sweat like crazy so you know you had a good workout.
11. Do you have a sweet tooth? If so, what is your go-to cheat meal?
For sure I do. I love dessert…. and my cheat dessert is probably any apple-crumble type thing, pumpkin pie, or donuts.
12. What is your favourite movie of all time?
I love all of the really girly rom-coms… but my all time favourite has to be Fracture — it’s an awesome thriller that I don’t have to force my boyfriend to watch with me, and it never gets old!
13. Are you a dog or cat person?
Dog person! I’m so crazy allergic to cats otherwise i’m sure i’d love them too.
14. What is your biggest fear?
Bugs. I think I check for spiders around my bed every night before I go to sleep.
15. What or who makes you laugh the most?
My best friend who lives out in LA. We both have the weirdest sense of humour and we could literally die laughing every time we hang out.
16. Coffee or tea?
Tea — I’m a tea queen. Right now, i’m hooked on Rooibos tea.
17. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 things would you bring and why?!
My boyfriend, some matches and Scrabble.
18. Any guilty pleasure or quirky habit you would like to share with us?!
Reality TV - I wish it wasn’t true!
19. Who has influenced you the most in your life?
Probably my mom. She's been a really great role model and gives the best advice! And she has always taught me that hard work, confidence and being a nice person goes a really long way!
20. Last but certainly not least...where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?
This is the hardest question — I definitely don’t have a 5 year plan…but i’d love to be working in retail still, but whether it be in marketing, visuals, or buying — i’m not so sure, yet! I'm honestly so lucky to be doing what I love here every day, and would love to be doing this for as long as I can!