Hosting a Canada Day party this year? We're sharing some of our favourite dishes and dessert for the upcoming holiday. These delicious recipes are sure to be a hit this Canada Day! Enjoy xx
- 700g of watermelon
- 1 small red onion
- 180g feta cheese
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- extra virgin olive oil
1. Scoop out and chop the watermelon into cubes.
2. Peel and slice onion in small pieces, crumble the feta, put in mint leaves (make sure they are small pieces).
3. Place it all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Drizzle some olive oil and salt and pepper and you're done!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 pint of heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 7 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Flaky sea salt
- 2 pounds of mixed medium and large tomatoes, cut into thin slices and wedges to mix it up
- 8 ounces of buffalo mozzarella
- Ground black pepper
- Small basil leaves
1. Toss the cherry tomatoes with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a small bowl and sprinkle with salt over.
2. Place the sliced tomatoes on a plate. Generously season with salt. Place mozzarella over top of the sliced tomatoes, adding more drizzled olive oil.
3. Add cherry tomatoes over top of mozzarella and drizzle 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
4. Let sit for 30 mins to soak up flavours.
5. Top with basil leaves and oil and salt, if wanted.
For the cake:
- 18 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperate
- 3 cups of sugar
- 6 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup of sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/3 cups of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
For the icing:
- 1 lb of unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 lbs cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter and flour an 18 by 13 by 1 1/2- inch sheet pan.
3. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed, until light and fluffy.
4. On medium speed, at the eggs, 2 at a time, then add the sour cream and vanilla.
5. Scrape down the sides and stir until smooth.
6. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
7. With the mixer on low speed at the flour mixture to the butter mixture until just combined.
8. Pour into prepared pan.
9. Smooth top with spatula.
10. Bake in the centre of pan for 20-30 mins, until toothpick comes out clean.
11. Cool to room temperature.
12. For the icing, combine the butter, cream, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, mixing until smooth.
13. Spread three-fourths of the icing on the top of the cooled sheet cake.
14. Outline the flag with a toothpick and fill in the American flag with raspberries and blueberries where needed.
15. Pipe stars on top of the blueberries.
Note: Can easily be made into a Canadian flag using raspberries for Canada Day.
***If you want to turn it out onto a board before frosting, use parchment paper when you grease and flour the pan.
- 1 1/2 pounds of new red potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard.
- Course salt and ground pepper.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley.
1. Place a steamer in a sauce pan, add 1 inch of water. When water comes to a boil, add potatoes and cook until just tender (15-20 mins).
2. In a separate bowl add vinegar and dijon mustard; add salt and pepper. Add the potatoes and let cool.
3. Once potatoes are cool, add parsley and olive oil. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp of diced red onion
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- Half of a lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 of sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of cilantro
1. Scoop out avocado flesh into a bowl (3 avocados).
2. Add tomato, onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Mix well together and add cilantro on top.
3. Serve with chips and enjoy!
- 1/2 pound of fresh crabmeat
- 1 T of thinly sliced chives
- 2 T of veganaise
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated lemon zest
- 12 small endive leaves
- Paprika to garnish
1. In a bowl combine the fresh crab meat, chives, veganaise, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
2. Scoop the mixture into the endive leaves, using only a spoonful.
3. Add paprika to each full endive leaf. Add salt for flavour if needed.