Its always a nice adjustment when the days start becoming longer, the weather starts to get warmer (hopefully!) and we start to be more active and get outside. Everyone seems to be a lot more motivated in the spring and summer to eat healthier and exercise more frequently. It's so easy to fall into a winter routine of heavier foods and instead of hitting the gym in the morning before work, reaching for that snooze button and stay nestled in bed. We are all guilty of blowing off that late night spin class after work, instead getting in your sweats and binge watching your favourite Netflix series. Its a nice change to switch up your winter menu for some light, fresh, and healthy meals ideas. We've shared some of our favourite spring recipes that will help get you on the right track as the warmer weather is just around the corner!
If you want something light and fresh to make for your next dinner party, but don't want a heavy pasta dish, a great substitute is zucchini noodles. They're super easy, light, healthy and you can be creative and add so many different ingredients! You can buy pre-cut noodles from Whole Foods or Sobeys (or any grocery store) but if you have a Zucchini spiralizer, it takes no time at all! You can add grilled chicken, other veggies and cheese (we love parmesan) to make it similar to a pasta dish. Its perfect for a big group of people, as you can make a large portion. It's a great alternative if you are trying to eat lighter and reduce your carb intake. We also love this dish with grilled shrimp, for a light spring dinner!
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1.5 lb of raw shrimp (peeled)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1/4 cup of white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1/3 of chopped parsley
- pinch of red pepper flake
- pinch of salt and pepper
1. Wash and cut the ends of the zucchini off and put through your spiralizer.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and sprinkle salt and pepper. Cook for about a minute. Don't flip or stir the shrimp, making the bottom of the shrimp a little crispy.
3. Add in the chopped garlic and stir in with the shrimp for about a minute. Remove shrimp from the pan and place onto a plate.
4. Add the butter, lemon juice and zest. Add the white wine and bring to a simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring.
5. Stir in parsley, add in zucchini noodles for about 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and stir for about a minute. Serve right away.
It's pretty apparent that we are huge Goop fans, as we've shared a lot of the recipes and have even featured Gwyneth's style as one of our fashion icons. We love how easy and fresh all the recipes are and not to mention super healthy! It can be difficult and exhausting always thinking of what to make for dinner. Sometimes it's hard to brainstorm ideas that are easy and healthy after a long day of work. We find that the Goop page is our go-to source for quick, easy, AND healthy recipes for those tiring Wednesday nights that dinner doesn't seem plausible. I mean not only is Gwyneth Paltrow stylish but she credits her glowing complexion and fit physique to her goop diet. Sign us up! One of the recipes that stood out to us is their cauliflower pizza. Not only does it look amazing but the the recipe seems straightforward and super healthy.
For the cauliflower base:
- 1(600 g/ 1 pound 5 ounce) cauliflower
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the pizza sauce:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 small tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or dried basil
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the toppings:
- 1/2 roasted red capsicum (bell pepper), peeled, seeded and sliced
- 4 marinated artichoke halves, thickly sliced
- 150 g (5 1/2 ounces) marinated goat's cheese, broken into lumps
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 large handful rocket leaves (arugula)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, lightly toasted
- extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1. Place baking sheet in the over and preheat your oven to 220 C (430 F). Line a pizza tray approx. 26 cm with baking paper.
2. Bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil. Take cheesecloth or a clean dish towel and line a colander.
Place the cauliflower in a food processor and blend until the cauliflower is finely chopped into tiny grains.
4. Cool the cauliflower for about 1 minute (so it still has a bit of crunch). Pour the cooked cauliflower into the prepped colander and set aside to cool and drain.
5. To make the pizza sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook the garlic until its soft. Add the tomatoes, herbs and cook for roughly 15 minutes. Cook the tomatoes until they are soft and the liquid has reduced, making a thick sauce. Take the sauce and puree and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Bundle the cauliflower up in the cheesecloth or towel and squeeze out any remaining water.
7. To prepare the base, take the blended cauliflower and other ingredients and mix in a bowl. Spoon the mixture into the centre of the pizza tray and flatten to make an even base. Place the pizza tray onto the preheated baking tray. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the cauliflower turns golden brown.
8. Take the tomato sauce and spread over the crispy base. Take the roasted pepper, artichoke, goat's cheese, olives and place them on the sauce. Bake for another 10 mines, until the cheese turns brownish.
10. Take out of the oven. Sprinkle some arugula over top with pine nuts. Drizzle with olive oil.
11. Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Slice, serve and enjoy!!
Not only is Lauren Conrad one of our favourite bloggers and fashionistas but she also is a great chef! What can't this girl do?! It's no secret we are obsessed with any type of Mexican cuisine. We would eat tacos every night if we could! When Conrad posted this recipe for her version of "healthy" tacos we were totally intrigued and tried this recipe! Its the perfect meal for when the weather is warm and all we want is light and easy recipes.
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 1 raw boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 fresh lime juice for flavour
- Cotija cheese
1. Marinate chicken (whichever sauce you like!) and cook chicken either on the barbecue, stovetop, or in a conventional oven. Lauren Conrad put hers in the oven on a foil-lined baking sheet at 450 degrees, for 20 minutes.
2. When chicken is fully cooked (center is opaque), cut each breast into thin slices, about 1/2 inch thick.
3. Place strips of chicken on your bed of lettuce and top with slice bell peppers and avocados (or any veggies you like!).
4. Add a squirt of lime juice for some extra zing, and sprinkle crumbled cotija cheese. Enjoy!!
From her exceptional style, to her hilarious tweets, Chrissy Teigen seems to always get it right, even in the kitchen! When her cook book Cravings, was published in 2016, we couldn't help but try out the majority of her mouthwatering dishes. I mean they are all so tasty! One of the recipes that stood out to us was her Summer spring rolls. Not only are they fresh, light and healthy for the spring/summer but they are super easy! Bonus!
- 8 medium sized shrimp
- 4-6 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 ounce of rice noodles
- 8 large or 16 small basil leaves
- 8 large or 16 small mint leaves
- 1 medium carrot (cut into 3 inch long strips)
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 8 rice papers
- Thai sweet chili sauce for serving
1. Slice the lettuce, carrots and avocado all in thin slices.
2. Fill a pot up of water and bring to a boil. Place noodles in the pot and cook until they are completely soft. Drain noodles.
3. Heat up a saucepan and cook shrimp until they are pink.
4. Take a bowl of warm water and dip rice paper in the bowl until soft and easy to wrap. Put the rice paper on a clean cloth and start adding in your lettuce, carrot, pepper, avocado and rice noodles. Wrap the ingredients up in the rice paper. Make sure they are tight!
5. Cut in half and serve! You can choose any type of dipping sauce (peanut, sweet chili etc.).